There are 4 facts you must understand:
1. You are a sinner.
- Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
- Romans 3:10, "For there is none righteous, no not one."
Being a sinner is admitting you have broken God's law. Have you ever told a lie? Of course, everyone has. How many lies must you tell to be a liar?
Only 1! Ask yourself the same question for the remaining commandments. You will quickly see the truth in Romans 3:23.
2. As a sinner, you owe a sin debt.
- Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
"Wages" means payment. There is a cost for sin. "Death" means "separation" [from God].
Physical death = the soul and body are separated (Hebrews 9:27)
Spiritual death = God and the soul are separated
Jesus suffered this separation from God for us on the cross!
3. Jesus Christ died to pay your sin debt.
- Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
"Commendeth" means to put on display as to entice. Imagine a store window in a shopping mall and the display put in that window by the store manager. The manager puts his best on display in hopes of enticing you into the store. God did exactly the same by giving us his best - Christ - and all the while we were at our most unlovable!
Jesus suffered the torments of Hell for you to pay your sin debt:
- "I thirst" = torment of flames
- Dark over the Earth = Outer darkness
- My God, My God ... = Separation from God (Hebrews 2:9)
4. You must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Acts 16:30-31, "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
- Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
Three Aspects of Belief
- The head - mind, academic. Knowing and understanding the facts or the truth about the way to Heaven.
- The heart - conviction of the Holy Spirit.
- The will - choice, surrender, volition. The choice of Jesus Christ over your sin. (Acts 20:21)
If you have accepted Jesus Christ by asking Him to forgive you of your sins and be your personal Lord and Savior, please let us know by contacting the church office at (904) 266-9532! We would love to talk to you and celebrate with you.