How Do I Go to Heaven?
Fact 1: YOU are a sinner.
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:10 "For there is none righteous, no not one."
Being a sinner is admitting you have broken God's law. God's law is summed up in the 10 commandments. Here is one to consider: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. (lie)
Have you ever told a lie? Of course, everyone has. How many lies must you tell to be a liar? Only 1! You will quickly see the truth in Romans 3:23 - we have ALL broken God's law!
Fact 2: As a sinner, you owe a sin debt.
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
- "Wages" means payment. There is a cost for sin.
- "Death" means "separation" [from God].
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27). There are two deaths to consider:
- Physical death = the soul and body are separated.
- Spiritual death = God and the soul are separated.
Fact 3: Jesus Christ died to pay your sin debt.
Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
The word "commendeth" here is a picture of God putting His love on display to draw you to Himself. Imagine a store window in a shopping mall and the display put in that window by the store manager. The manager puts his best on display in hopes of enticing you into the store. God gave us his best by placing Jesus on the cross for our sins.
Jesus suffered the torments of Hell to pay your sin debt:
- "I thirst" = torment of flames (John 19:28)
- Darkness over the Earth = Outer darkness [Hell] (Mark 15:33)
- "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" = Separation from God (Matthew 27:46)
4. You must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Acts 16:30-31 "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
Three Aspects of Belief
- The head - mind, academic. Knowing and understanding the facts or the truth about the way to Heaven.
- The heart - drawing and conviction by the Holy Spirit.
- The will - choice, surrender, volition. The choice of Jesus Christ over your sin. (Acts 20:21)
You can pray a prayer like this:
Dear Lord Jesus - I know that I am a sinner and that I deserve to die and go to Hell, but I do believe that you died on the cross for my sin. Right now, I am trusting you to be my Savior. Thank you for forgiving my sin and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life and help me to be a good Christian. Amen!
If you have accepted Jesus Christ by asking Him to forgive you of your sins and be your personal Lord and Savior, please let us know by contacting the church office at (904) 266-9532! We would love to talk to you and celebrate with you.